Wednesday, August 26, 2009

GREAT DAY!

well let me just say today i had three classes, and did some great work.

I started my day with Stage Management One, this is an under grad class for ALL theatre majors so its sometimes daunting to be sitting in there, but Katy and I are in there together which makes it easier. This morning Shannon gave us an assignment to make an audition poster, and Im not going to lie i did it during class, there is a copy below, boring i know.
My next class is Directing, which i have also taken, but i must say that I am really enjoying this class so far, We are reading "Power of the Actor" by Chubbuck, and I must say its really a good book. The discussion today was very interesting, We talked a lot about objectives, what does your character want in this scene and the overall arch of the show for example. It was very very interesting to think about how characters need to be humanized, they need to take every step a normal human being does, They have no idea what happens next, just like you and me. One of the most interesting things from the book and our discussion to me "You must earn the right to die" okay really? doesn't that sound interesting in more then just a theatrical term. I mean an actor knows that their character is going to die, but the character just like you and me has know Idea when that is going to happen. I mean think about it, that character has to earn the right to die, they have to work every minute of that script earning the believability of the death and the knowledge or lack there of, of it coming. I don't know why that is so interesting to me but it is.

I went home and read the next three chapters of that book, im really into this class, great professor, I am learning and feeling like its making a difference in my career already! Whats so interesting is that I have seen good actors and directors do some of the things we talk about but never really knew why? but now looking back things make so much more sense!

I went back to Stage Management studio where all of the SM's in the MFA program get together and we chatted, good times with 6 good people, and we have decided that we are team awesome, and that we should all have a different color and a logo and such. Well I made us a logo, im pretty much in love with it, 6 colors, 6 of us, funny sayings on it, and pretty excited to stamp that baby onto all of our papers! funny, very funny!
Today was a really good day! I also took some pictures of the fact that UNLV is not that crowded!
If anyone reads this and wants to respond to this question or if you are annie and you want to ask your children this question i would love to know the answer.

What is a Stage Manager?

Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment